Efiko (www.efiko.com.ng) is an interactive social testing platform that enables learners to take curriculum-based tests on their mobile phones. The tests, based on the national academic curriculum at the secondary level, are designed to stimulate and personalize the learning experience outside of school. The project was developed through CcHUB’s Tech-In Education Program which addresses the need for personalization and mass individualization of learning tools. Efiko includes topic-based learning and standardized content, randomized timed quizzes, instant scoring and ranking with a leader-board enabling students to see how they rank against their peers, social media integration, and geographical mapping. The project is currently undergoing a pilot demonstration of this engaging technology tool among secondary school students in four states of Nigeria (Lagos, Kano, Jigawa, Rivers). The pilot aims to improve the learning experiences and outcomes of students, especially girls, in the pilot states.
The app is aimed at maximizing the use of mobile devices to:
- Enable students to reach their potential through increased access to educational resources that extend learning beyond the capacities or limitations of their school or community;
- Engage students in rich, compelling learning experiences that develop deeper knowledge and skill development especially problem-solving, creativity, and critical thinking skills and;
- Empower secondary school students to take responsibility for their own educational outcomes and explore new knowledge freely.
The project addresses themes such as supporting transition to and retention in secondary education for girls and other disadvantaged groups, 21st century skills relevant to life and labor markets, use of education technologies and open educational resources. Efiko aims to enable the mass individualization of learning through the unique features of its web and mobile technologies that allow for an extensive community to exchange ideas and to learn from one another in a way not previously available.
Click here to see full program profile
CEI approaches in action
The Efiko app was designed and developed to serve a range of individuals. Efiko is built to work on any basic mobile phone that can connect to the internet using minimal data.
An Efiko pilot in 8 schools in Lagos state was completed on December 19th 2012. The service has reached 70 schools through a Nationwide Secondary School competition.
Efiko plans to pilot in 3 other states and grow interactions with regulatory bodies, schools, teachers, and students, so that the initiative can scale up rapidly.
Monitoring & Evaluation
The program monitors its results in three different ways:
- First, the backend of the app has been designed to collect data on usage and topic preferences so that user interests can be more accurately ascertained.
- Secondly, qualitative data is collected via self-filled questionnaires which are administered in selected schools. The analysis of the responses guides the evaluation of the app's utilization and effectiveness.
- Thirdly, Google Analytics assists in determining frequency of hits (unique visits to the website), user demographics, and types of devices utilized. Insights from this tool reveal product effectiveness and utilization, and provide useful data with which to improve service delivery and expand access to the app.
There are however plans to develop a more robust M&E strategy. M&E competence is currently being integrated into the program.