Korogocho is one of the largest slums in Nairobi and home to approximately 300,000 residents in an area of 1.5 square kilometers. The Children and Youths Empowerment Network (CYEN) supports the Korogocho community through participatory methodologies to create youth empowerment, community cohesion and advocacy for equitable opportunities for residents.
CYEN serves Korogocho with a variety of programs, including:
- Home Based Day Care Centers, established in over 40 homes across the slum, which provide education and care for 400 children ages 0-6, providing these children with critical early care and generating income for the vetted caregivers.
- Creative arts training in acting, dancing, acrobats, soccer to foster discipline, commitment, leadership skills, self esteem and teamwork.
- Interactive counseling and peer workshops for mental and emotional rehabilitation, using peers to communicate and share knowledge and experiences.
- Entrepreneurship training enables youth to increase their chances of employment and teach others. Teams are required to come up with an entrepreneurial activity, and CYEN supports the establishment of viable plans, enlisting entrepreneurship experts to advise them.
- Urban governance promotion programs work to ensure that orphans are given identity cards and birth certificates. They also encourage voter registration and forums to address their local member of parliament on issues important to the slum. These forums hold parliament members accountable so that youth have a say in policies and decisions that affect their lives.
- Community outreach to address security, drugs, crime, and HIV.
- Girls' basic education program to produce documentaries as tools for creating awareness on education of the girls. The girls' education programs will also be linked with the counseling initiatives.
Overall, CYEN believes that the participatory behavioral methodologies used throughout its activities facilitate and encourage positive behavioral change, better communication skills, self-esteem, and attitude that keep youth away from risky activity.
Click here to see full program profile
CEI approaches in action
CYEN Korogocho was formed in 2009 and registered in 2010 under the Ministry of Gender and Social Services as a partnership between the youth and adults in the slums.
CYEN plans to continue to target the residents of Korogocho slums in higher numbers and continue to advocate for their rights.
Monitoring & Evaluation
With funding they would like to implement a strategy.